Thursday, June 12, 2008

Renault Hiring VW Designers?



Last March Renault took the wraps off its new Megane Coupe in Geneva. The reason I wanted to comment on this car is because I've regarded Renault as one of the most design forward studios in the recent past. Their designs are generally fresh, distinctive and innovative - probably the three most coveted qualities of any design oriented brand.

This car is Fresh and Innovative BUT not quite as Distinctive as it should be and it reminds me of another brand I regard as design forward: Volkswagen/Audi.

Let me tell you why:

1. The previous Renault grille shape has been enlarged and now like VW, rolls over the edge downward past the bumper. VW/Audi's first few stabs at this were a bit awkward but they've refined this detail nicely. Renault looks as if they've learned from this and theirs looks refined already. But because they've abandoned their grille for the most part, there is no "down the road" Renault graphic anymore. Now you only read the large intakes flanking the side of the front facia. This is no longer a strong identity for Renault.

2. Also at the front, the headlights are integrated into the shape of the intakes similar to VW/Audi. The one aspect that has any French flair is the shape of the light graphic - but only ever so slightly.

3. At the rear, the light treatment is all VW/Audi. We've been seeing the "floating lights in the intake/exhaust" forever now. Not that it doesn't look cool, because it does. The one aspect that makes the rear different is the vertical character lines creating the flat surface in the center. I've seen it many times, I've done it myself as well.

4. Thank goodness it doesn't have the wraparound windscreen - that would just put me over the edge.

This car has some other interesting details that create an overall nice impression. The side rocker detail, the curved hood character (Scion xA among others) and the interior is very innovative with its integrated IP, rocker, and seats, etc.

I like this car. I like it because I've seen it a hundred times from most every portfolio on CDN. I don't mind that eventhough that's the case, they made it. I'm glad they made it. That way, we can move on and evolve this aesthetic. If they put it into production, it would be the first time we'd be able to purchase this aesthetic. But that doesn't mean it'll happen - Renault hasn't been great about going from concept to production and since it's not really their aesthetic anyways, they wouldn't own it either.

My hope is that Renault can find the happy medium between their beautiful, flamboyant themes and production. I'd love to see a Renault production car here in the US that is Fresh, Distinctive, Innovative - and ALL Renault.

2 comments:

Sang Koh said...

I'm still getting over the production version of the Vel Satis. :)

Commissioner said...

Amen, brother. Poor Vel Satis...

The Avantime was surprisingly close but turned out to be quite useless and did not sell well. They've just gotten production shy!