Wednesday, September 10, 2008

VW's Short-Lived Down-The-Road Graphic

Just when VW was getting the hang of its new face, it changes it back. Not that I thought it was working all that well anyways. Audi actually does it quite well after also struggling a bit at first.



I remember the last Golf being too conservative for the 5th generation...so they decided to make it EVEN more conservative this time around.

In a previous post I mentioned the level of design at Volkswagen and their potential to do great things. It's disappointing to see them continually churn out conservative designs. What keeps them fresh is a strong marketing campaign that appeals to young buyers - not unlike Apple.

It's unfortunate that ironically, the consumer who wonders where their "flying car" is they were promised in the 1950's is the one that continually prefers the conservative option. Every year, the consumer chooses to not embrace innovation, even if it's only at the styling level. And every time there's a visionary designer or company that takes a chance, the bean counters at their company are usually disappointed with sales and the project is scrapped.

That's right, I blame this car's regression on the consumer.
There - I said it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too am shocked about the conservative nature of this design. I understand VW trys to keep things clean and simple, but then again I think the Golf is the most popular car in Europe...so why rock the boat?
I like the change to the front end. The old AUDI style big mouth grill just was not working well...it felt very 2D and seemed to be an Audi copycat...which it was. Perhaps the new Scirroco is meant to be the VW that rocks the boat!?

dc